The Maven team has just announced the release of Maven 3.0-beta-1.
There is still several things to do for the final releases, but Maven 3 is now ready to go from Alpha to Beta.
If you're interested on migrating to this new version, you should have a look at this page from the Maven site : Maven 3 Compatibility Notes. This page lists all the known differences between Maven 2 and Maven 3 for compatibility purpose.
Some news of Maven 3 :
- Complete Kernel Rewriting
- New languages for POM : YAML and Groovy
- POM Composition
- Extensibility : Easier to create plugins extending an other plugin
- Create the build at start and not step by step
- Mercury for repositories and dependencies access
- Maven Shell : Shell environment to execute Maven commands
You can download it here.